Thursday 26 April 2012

Intolerance and judgmentalism

I sometimes whether some people I meet have actually met a Christian before. I've always had at least one or two Christian friends, and I've never found them to be judgmental even when they knew I was leading a far from 'Christian' lifestyle.

Sure, there are Christians who lean more towards the views of my cartoon friends here; there are those in my church I would withhold certain details of my story from, but thankfully not many, and I may indeed be doing them a disservice - judging them, even - in assuming that because they are from a different generation and background to me, they would look at me differently if they knew the whole truth.

Judgmental, intolerant Christians - specifically those who are quite vocal about their opinions - are, in my admittedly limited experience, vastly in the minority.

And yet, now I come to look at things from their side of the fence, as it were, it seems that certain people expect a degree of judgmentalism from me. Some even try to provoke it; ironically, the subject of these conversations is often (though not exclusively) some aspect of sexuality. Some know that I used to be quite flirty and seem to want me to feel bad about that. Others seem intent on starting me gay-bashing, whether to catch me out as a bad Christian or to justify their own homophobia I may never know.

Well, you're all wasting your time. I know I'm not perfect, but I do know that if my oldest Christian friends had judged me instead of loving me, they wouldn't be my friends, and I wouldn't be the person I am now. And I happen rather to like me.

And if, by any chance, you are one of those people who expect Christians to be intolerant and judgmental: isn't that a little judgmental of you?

(Illustration from asbojesus.wordpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment